Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The worst vegan ever

I have recently tried to become a vegan. I have been a vegetarian for a long time, though up until a year or 2 ago, I would eat some fish, but not anymore. So now that I have been a total vegetarian for a while now, I thought that I would take what seemed to me to be the next logical step and try vegan living. It helps that I work with a couple of vegans who have been helping me with guidance and suggestions. I also thought that I would try and make some improvements in other areas, namely cooking. You see, I don't cook. I really don't cook anything at all besides brown rice, frozen vegetables, and frozen pizzas. I eat a lot of fruit and peanut butter. My thought was that I would try to learn to cook some stuff, and I might as well learn to cook some vegan stuff.

It has been about 6 weeks now, and I have actually been cooking. I have been cooking brown rice, frozen vegetables and tofu. But I have cooked stuff - I even bought cookbooks. And so far I have made 3 recipes. So I have made some progress, but I really suck at being a vegan. Mostly, it is just mindless things. Like going through the Tim Hortons Drive through I just automatically order an extra large with cream. Then, about 3 sips in, I realize, crap, not supposed to have cream in my coffee. After 6 weeks, you think I would remember this more often. Thankfully, the girl who works at the place I get my coffee every morning has started reminding me that I want soy milk in my coffee.

The other day at work, there were cookies in the breakroom and they looked really good. I grabbed one, thinking that it had been so long since I had a cookie, and about 2 bites in, I realized, whoops, not supposed to eat cookies. I am so not a good vegan. And I really, really miss cheese. I love cheese. I really, really love cheese. All kinds of cheese, hard cheese, runny cheese, smelly cheese, cheese pizzas. Soy cheese tastes like ass. I also miss chocolate, creamy, gooey milk chocolate. I can get by because there is chocolate that I can eat, but I am having a little skittles withdrawal. Thank god there is still french fries.

So, I started out saying that I would try the vegan thing for 3 months, and I have been moderately successful. I don't have to change a whole lot of things, just the cream, and the cheese mostly, so I am going to stick it out, but I think I will take Christine's suggestion and aim for about 80% vegan. I can live with black coffee but I might need the occasional cheese and skittle fix, so i might aim to be, like the 3rd worst vegan.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there.. You may now submit your blog to our newly created PR 3 Blog Directory.. Have a nice day! Keyworddir.info

Anonymous said...

Hello.. Do you know how to Add Adsense Code Inside Single Post Only in XML Template? Visit your blog to learn how.. Have a nice thursday!

Anonymous said...

Wow, fantastic [url=http://www.oksunglassesaushop.com]cheap oakley sunglasses[/url] blog layout! How long have you ever been blogging for? you make running a blog look easy. [url=http://www.oksunglassesaushop.com]oakley sunglasses australia[/url] , The entire look of your website is great, let alone the content!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your valuable efforts on this blog. My niece loves going through research and it is simple to grasp why.[url=http://www.cheapoksunglassesoutlet.com]oakley outlet[/url]

cheap oakley sunglasses , A number of us learn all relating to the lively mode you present very useful tips and hints through the web blog and

therefore attract response from

others about this

subject so our own simple princess cheap oakley sunglasses is really oakley sunglasses outlet learning a great deal. Take advantage

of the remaining portion of the new year.

You're carrying out a really good job.